Here is a memory with a brief story regarding the once-old fish market, which was built here between 1736 and 1741 during the reign of Grand Master Fra’ Ramón Despuig y Martínez de Marcilla. A bastion that is part of the fortifications of Mdina and was built between 1739 and 1746 was also named after him and is known as Despuig Bastion.

This fish market kept on going until around the 1930’s, when it was demolished in the late 1970’s to make way for the new road that passes through Barriera Wharf.

Leave a Reply